Unless you travel light, you won't be able to unpack everything in the first day, so it's worth deciding what you might need easy access to soon after you cross the threshold of your new home.
- Pack an 'essentials' box for the first night in your new home and carry it with you. Instant access to coffee, tea, snacks, cups and a kettle may be welcome soon after you arrive. As will plates, utensils and a kitchen cloth.
- Prepare an overnight bag for everyone in the family, and make sure that there is enough toilet paper and toiletries for everyone.
- Other useful items that should be kept close to hand are a torch, a first-aid kit including pain relievers, pencil and paper, and re-closable plastic bags, along with a small tool kit.
- If possible, finish any laundry well before you move to avoid packing damp clothes. Keep a separate box/bag for dirty washing.
- Make sure the boxes containing items you need the least are loaded up first.